Tuesday, November 23, 2010

23rd Worst Movie: Fear Dot Com

“Fear Dot Com” Starring Stephen Dorff, Stephen Rea and Natasha McElhone
Directed by William Malone

Fear Dot Wrong
By Michele Dillon

I don’t think that it’s a coincidence that most of the movies on this list are scary/horror movies. The reason for that being 1.) They are way over made (seriously, think of something else Hollywood!) and 2.) Rarely is enough time spent on the storyline and the script, it’s like they feel that as long as they can make people jump, we won’t realize that none of the movie makes sense. Well guess what? *I* do! If not anyone else out there who pays attention to the plot and how it connects (or disconnects in most cases) then there is at least me. Yes, this may get me to be deemed as overly critical or “lame” but what is a girl to do with her time, other than rethink and rethink the plot of a movie right after she has watched it? I am a little crazy, I will admit that, not everyone really cares about all the miniscule things that I do when it comes to movies (such as that person is wearing a different shirt in the same scene), but really, there are some things that are so blatantly forgotten that I wonder how other people do not pick up on it (or care about it at least). To get on with the actual review of the movie, I guess we will first need to pick apart the very essence of the idea (if you even want to call it that). The premise of this movie is that people are dying because they logged on to a certain website (feardotcom.com), and Stephen Dorff (Detective Mike Reilly) must discover the reason why. Hmm, sounds promising, except for the fact that it doesn’t. I may not be the smartest tool in the shed, but this movie isn’t supposed to be considered fantasy, it’s horror, so in my opinion it must be believable in some aspect, which it is not…unless any time soon I may possibly die because I logged into amazon.com. Seriously? THIS is what is passing for entertainment? First of all, when is the last time that you have ever considered Dorff to be something of a good actor? And second of all, why did I watch this? Why did ANYONE watch this? Why did this come to the theatres at all? I am just dumbfounded by what passes as a movie then and even now (seeming how Hollywood has only produced one original movie idea-Inception-this whole entire year, everything else has been a remake of an old film, a remake of a foreign film or an adaptation from book to movie, or an adaptation from comic book to movie…well you get the idea). Anyway, I think it is pretty clear that this movie did not cut it in my opinion. Can we move on?

No comments:

Post a Comment