Wednesday, November 24, 2010

22nd Worst Movie: Son of the Mask

“Son of the Mask” Starring Jamie Kennedy, Alan Cumming and Traylor Howard
Directed by Lawrence Guterman

Son of the Boring Movie That Never Ends
By Michele Dillon

I don’t remember ever feeling the need for them to make a sequel to the movie The Mask, especially not one that doesn’t include Jim Carrey (the person who carried the original movie). I don’t even know if this can technically qualify as a sequel since really the only idea that they took from the original was the whole “mask turns you into evil/crazy type thing”. Everything else was an over abundance of unnecessary plot lines. I guess that is what you can expect from the same director of Cats and Dogs. After researching him on IMDB, I came to discover that Son of the Mask was only his fourth directed movie (and his last since 2005). Poor Lawrence, production companies probably stopped taking a leap of faith for him after this movie probably tanked. I can only imagine it did, although I did not look up the specific numbers.

I’m really surprised that Jaime Kennedy is even still an actor since he can’t, well, act. I can say that he does better with comedy than drama but not by much. I know that I speak more of the actors and the directors and the screenplay more than I do about the actual movie itself, but really when you are watching a movie this horrific, that’s all you can do. You can’t really look at the cinematography or the special effects or any of those sorts of things because they are practically non existent. I am trying my hardest here to actually like ONE of these movies. So far I believe the count is 2/78 watched so far…give or take. I really don’t think those are good odds unless the last 21 movies end up being amazing…I’ll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment